Face2Face Makeup Awards 2017 TIPS!
It's that time of year again!
That time when you look at your diary and you realise it's creeping into mid August and you kind of thought it was still June. Or is that just me?
This also means... it's almost time for Beauty Expo Australia and the FACE2FACE MAKEUP AWARDS!!
If you're one of those artists who's head is still in last financial year and think they have missed the entry deadline. I HAVE GOOD NEWS!
Entries are now open until Friday... FRIYAY!
Get your spot HERE
This year I am once again coming on board as Face2Face Makeup Awards Creative Director... which means I come up with the themes, invite the judges and even present the awards over the weekend! This year, I'll be sharing the presenting with someone special so in 2018 if I am overseas... I know that part is being taken care of. I'll still do all the other tasks... I love Face2Face!
Really... where else in Australia can you put yourself under that kind of creative pressure to grow and expand as an artist in a fun and supportive environment... and then use the results to wow your clients, talk about with potential clients and even just impress yourself?? The awards isn't about winning... it's about proving to yourself you trust your skills under pressure without the pressure of a client. Don't you think that's worth it's weight in gold? When you do eventually land a job that is high pressure... you are already practiced in keeping your cool and delivering results. And let me tell you this... in all the years I have done this competition... I have never seen a makeup disaster. The energy of the room lifts everyone to complete their makeups and surprise themselves. And yes... I have put myself in these positions before so I know the immense value of the exercise. When I got stage fright... I knew the only way to get over it was to put myself in public speaking situations until I was comfortable... and I have gone from being a nervous person to grabbing the microphone and feeling at ease... just with the practice. Do the competition. Not for the awesome prizes... not for the judges that will see your work... but for the personal and professional challenge. Elevate yourself!
Ok. I'm off the soap box now. Let's talk about THEMES AND TIPS!
I LOVE the categories this year!! Lets break them down and I will add some tips I know might be useful for you.
Bridal – The Modern Bride
Saturday 26th August | 10.30am
This category is designed for those Makeup Artists wishing to create a “MODERN BRIDE” makeup. The winner of this category will be the person who demonstrates excellence in creativity, makeup application skill and professionalism. The award is open to makeup artists anywhere in the world at any stage in their career.
Here are my tips:
- Do YOUR interpretation of a Modern Bride... not what you 'think will win'. Judges are unpredictable so do what makes you feel good and proud.
- Yes... you should dress your model appropriately for all categories... but don't feel budget pressures. If you have a small budget... jazz up a bridal dress from your local vinnies. Your Makeup is the most important thing thing! (yes you can have someone else do hair before the comp x
- Do the kind of makeup that you WANT to be doing for future brides. Use these images of the comp to advertise yourself. Instagram this like crazy! Your clients will LOVE this. I truly believe this is one of the best and most unique PR activities you can get yourself involved in if you are building your business.
Fashion Catwalk – Trend Prediction
Saturday 26th August | 3.00pm
This category is designed for those makeup artists wishing to create “2018 RUNWAY” inspired makeup. The winner of this category will be the person who demonstrates excellence in creativity, makeup application skill and professionalism. The award is open to makeup artists anywhere in the world at any stage in their career.
Here are my tips:
- I LOVE LOVE this category because the gold lies in the fact your headspace has to be in the same headspace as a Key MUA designing for a show (just minus the fashion and the direction from the designer). You actually will put yourself in the position of designing for a 'show' and that experience if you have never directed for a show is invaluable.
- Design a look for someone you would actually love to work for! You never know who's watching your social media...
- DON'T REPLICATE SOMEONE ELSE'S WORK. Your judges are savvy and have been around for a while. They will know. You will lose points.
- Treat this like real runway... when applying the makeup... look from afar as well as close up... this needs to translate to runway as well as suit your designer.
- If you want to get involved in fashion Weeks... this is a great place to start to get noticed! It's using my motto... show them don't tell them. Show them you deserve to be backstage. PR the crap out of your look. Winning is a bonus. x
Body Art – Art Is Life
Sunday 27th August | 8:30am
Create a full body paint inspired by an artist or artists who inspire you - Your artist can be a Painter, Sculptor, Musician, Contemporary... ANY type of artist. Let your Body Paint be homage to their work.
- Block out your time wisely! I always always block out an hour at the beginning to create your shapes and hopefully base colours... and an hour at the end for final jzoojz and cleaning up any cracked paint or errors.
- COSTUME! Make life easier for you and make a costume to cover 'bits'... not only does this create an amazing overall effect... but means less painting! If you are worried about budget... you should know I created my own costume for my recent IMATS body art demonstration with a $20 budget. Borrowed shoes, made the skirt and headpiece with an overlocker and a lot of imagination... and stuffed the costume with MUA Casey Gores spare shopping bags!
- This theme is so open! Find what art inspires you and go for it! Art is a large umbrella... and if someone does an Grayson Perry paint they get bonus points (my favourite artist!) I'll be judging x
Creative Makeup – The Club Kids of Sydney
Sunday 27th August | 10.30am
"The Club Kids were a group of young New York City dance club personalities led by Michael Alig and James St. James in the late 1980s and early 1990s. The group was notable for its members' flamboyant behaviour and outrageous costumes." (* Source Wikipedia) In this new category... create a modern 'Club Kid of Sydney' including creative makeup on the face and decolletage... be outrageous - be flamboyant!
The BEST PART of this category... apart from the fact it is brand new... is you get the absolute pleasure of doing the research for this category!!! YOU'RE WELCOME!
- Think outside the box... but dont over think this.
- Practice your brush skills in the week leading up to this and you will have more comfort on the floor.
- If you are worried about budget... just keep in mind there are club kids in the world rocking out the high life wearing a garbage bag, cardboard and some gaffa tape.
Beauty Editorial - My Beauty Brand
Imagine a world where you are about to launch your very own Makeup Brand. Create the first two beauty images that will advertise your brand in the pages of elite glossy magazines.
This category is sponsored by Laud Magazine. Laud Magazine is the new Australian Beauty Bible which celebrates the talent of Australian Makeup, Hair, Body Art and SPFX. The winning images will be published in a future issue of LAUD Magazine which has international distribution and the winner will be featured as LAUDs RISE artist for makeup.
My Final Tips:
- If you are worried at this late stage about getting your images to Reed Exhibitions... Click Here for details on how to get your images printed and delivered to Reed by Kwik Copy. No stress!
- Don't over photoshop your images!
- Points are generally lost by un-groomed brows, bad mounting, copying of another artists work (judges know their stuff) and too much makeup applied. (you don't need to show off every single skill you have) Find your balance!
If you have any administrational queries... Philipa is your woman:
Philippa Shepherd | Content Coordinator
P: 02 9422 2504
Any creative questions... shoot me an email. You don't need to have your look worked out for the live comps yet... just get your entry in!
I can't wait for the 26 + 27 August! See you all there xx